Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

Here's my take on the re-imagining of Halloween 2...I'll keep it short so I don't ruin it for anyone!

Let me start by saying that I'm thankful this will be the last Halloween movie that Rob Zombie will be "re-imagining"! As a huge fan of the original films (even including Resurrection), I was extremely disappointed. While at first I didn't love Zombie's Halloween 1, I appreciated his vision and the homage he paid to the original movies. I really wanted to like this film - the trailers were fantastic! Unfortunately, this sequel is just all over the place - too much gore, disgusting sound effects, and zero plot! Probably most disappointing is that the classic Halloween theme isn't present until the end credits! I could go on forever about everything that was wrong with this movie, but I won't.

Just about the only thing I did like was that you see how the characters have been affected over the past year. Scout Taylor-Compton did a respectable job portraying Laurie's wavering mental status, Danielle Harris will always be one of my favorites (although to me, she will forever be Jamie - not Annie), and Brad Dourif was fabulous as Sherrif Brackett. Shockingly, Malcolm McDowell was horrible as Dr. Loomis (I was also surprised by the lack of screen time he was given). I'm not sure so much if I didn't enjoy McDowell's performance or just the way the character was written this time around. While I try not to compare Zombie's Halloweens to the classics, I found myself thinking, "Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis never would have said this..." or WWDPD (What Would Donald Pleasence Do)?

Overall, fans of the originals will most likely be disappointed, but if you're just up for a slasher movie - this may be for you.

Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment